My Products
Help
Florian Haase
PARTNER

GraphQL schema preload in Postman

by Florian Haase

Hi

we are using Postman and try to load the GraphQL schema static to avoid that it is being loaded all the time from the server. 

But obviously Postman has a problem with such big schemas. We tested a bit and guess that there is a limit on about 10 MB. But this could also be a timeout question and not depending on the size. We did try several things and we also placed a question in a postman forum. 

But does anybody else know something about that? 

We tried also to convert the schema to SDL - than we get 15 MB. But that still won't work.

To use Insomnia is not an option for us since we have a lot of saved collections on group-level and we won't pay for 2 licenses.

Florian

2 REPLIES 2

by Marius Bancila

The uncompressed schema is about 30MB. We compress the GraphQL responses, using Brotli compression. This includes the schema, which, compressed, has 1.6MB. But I suppose the problem is not the network traffic but the handling after receiving it. Unfortunately, we can't do much to decrease it. Even without the Description values (that describe each field) I think it's still over 15MB (if I remember correctly since the last time I experimented with options to decrease its size).

Florian Haase
PARTNER

Yes I guess you are right about that. We consider to use Insomnia instead of Postman but we have to test a bit more how the caching of the schema is handled there.